The Future of Maine Initiative
To inform and inspire early aspirations, to empower the youth
of rural Maine to build a brighter future for themselves . . .
and for their communities.
Our goal is not to make more students continue their education beyond high school;
it is to develop more students who want to continue their education beyond high school.
Each year, we talk with over 4000 Maine elementary and middle school students about the opportunity of higher education, colleges, college majors, and careers after college. And, we award over 500 College Aspirations Scholarships each year, to recognize students’ early effort and aspirations.
Schedule of recent and upcoming workshops and ceremonies
1. College Aspirations Workshops for students in grades 3 - 6, along with accompanying posters, college lists, and on-going answers to student questions via email. For over fifteen years, these workshops have reached over 80,000 students in 124 Maine communities. Workshops discuss with students in grades 3 – 8 the following: what, where, why is college; an opportunity for absolutely everyone; 390 great college options for Maine students; 240 great college majors for Maine students; preparing for college and turning a dream into a plan; career aspirations beyond college; and the value of effort.
2. $100 College Aspirations Scholarships awarded to students in grades 3 - 6, based on an essay on college and career aspirations. Scholarships are locally-funded and redeemable upon enrollment in any post-secondary educational program or for college application or college aspirations. Over 2500 have been awarded in the past ten years.
3. A community scholarship ceremony to award scholarships and celebrate the recipients.
4. Distribution of "College Crosswords" and to engage students in exploration of the opportunity of higher education, with the option to participate in the Maine College Knowledge Bowl. The “Maine Word About College” monthly newsletter, written by college students and annual guide. The “College Answers” site with over 200 college questions from elementary and middle school students in Maine, answered by college students.
6. We provide paid internships to past, local Future of Maine College Aspirations Scholarship recipients to help engage communities in their Future of Maine projects.
7. We are developing the Maine Pre-Degree with Maine colleges to help young Future of Maine College Aspirations Scholarship recipients, and others, develop their skills, knowledge, and interest in their stated career of interest, on a pathway through higher education to a career they are proud of. Each grade 4 - 12 curriculum will include three grade-appropriate components: study, research, and a local connection.
Maine College Circle
251 Main Street
Yarmouth, Maine 04096